Thursday, November 12, 2020

Sock Yarn, v13

....aaaand more socks knit up....

1. Zwerger Garn Opal (uni colours) - a very popular European sock yarn that I only recently got my hands on; it's not easily available in my area so I resorted to online shopping. Comes in nice subdued plain colours and is the usual 400m/100g grist (ie. nice and thin). I find it harsher and splittier than my favorite Regia, but it isn't bad at all. It softens a bit in the laundry, and holds its shape admirably. So far (about a year) holding up well, no felting, pilling, or fading. ** update 2021 ** the pair of socks requires darning, multiple holes on the sole. Lasted just under 2 years....not very impressive!


2. West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4 ply - purchased online, not locally available. It's got 35% BFL in it, which I thought would give it some lustre and also some longevity. Has some nice colours (I especially like the golden colour). However, the yarn has no shine, it's quite hairy in fact. A bit splitty to knit. What I dislike about this yarn, though, is the fact that as you wear the sock, it starts to bag - the body disappears. After a laundry cycle the sock is all nice and tight again, but during the day the socks slide down my leg. I won't use it again (for socks). 


Finally, an update on Drops Fabel, which I've now found a local source for. The upside of this yarn is it's nice colours and good price point, the downside is it is a bit thicker than I'd like. The ballband shows 410m/100g, but it feels a good deal thicker than this and the final sock just feels heavier. Wears well, maintains its colour and doesn't felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment