Then, I wet-blocked the little capelet and confirmed my gauge, and redid the increase calculations. Glad I did that! Turns out, I should not measure my knitting when it hasn't been blocked to judge my progress. Well, I'm happy to have learned that! This did set me back a good 3 days though. Yech. Well, no pain, no gain, as they say.
So, I have adjusted my increase rate (it actually needed to go up! So I'm closer to what the original pattern suggests, in terms of increasing), and am continuing.
I must say I am not really enjoying this part of the sweater - the part where you haven't yet split off the sleeves and the body - because it has so many stitches. It just seems to take forever to make any progress...I guess that's why I really enjoy socks so much!
[progress / regress so far]